Divorce and Dissolution of Civil Partnerships

Not all unhappy relationships end in divorce or dissolution.

There are some situations where all that is required is for the parties to communicate more effectively with each other and in that regard we can help you find the specialist counselling you need.

However, should that not be appropriate a person may petition for a divorce or a dissolution in a civil partnership from their spouse or partner after they have been married for a period of at least 1 year.

The Court must be satisfied on any petition for divorce or dissolution that the relationship has broken down irretrievably. You must refer to one of a list of facts when satisfying the Court that the relationship has irretrievably broken down:-

  • Adultery (not applicable in relation to Civil Partnership).
  • Unreasonable behaviour.
  • Desertion for 2 or more years.
  • Separation for 2 or more years (and both parties consent).
  • Separation for 5 years or more.

The purpose of our free initial interview with you is to allow us to advise you on whether we think you may petition for divorce or dissolution and further which fact is the most appropriate for your circumstances.

Our video: 10 Steps To An Easier Divorce


Fixed Fee Scheme

Find out about our unique Fixed Fee Scheme for Family Law cases, and see if it’s right for you.

Find out more


There’s a lot of jargon involved in the world of Family Law, so we have put together a glossary of the most common terms, with explanations.

Find out more

Family Solicitor Focus

The human face of Family Law: meet Cunningtons partner Jill Wiggins, who works out of our Braintree office.

Find out more